Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Curiosity Didn’t Kill the Cat



Remember a few weeks ago when I talked about nutrigenomics and personalized nutrition recommendations based on your genetics? Well, my curiosity got the best of me and I decided to order a kit, spit in a tube and send it away to Toronto to have my genetic code tested. I never really gave digging into my genetic tree much thought before now, but after some quick though decided I would rather know about my risk for chronic disease sooner rather than later. Sure it was a little nerve wrecking, not knowing what to expect, but looking back I’m glad that I gave it a go. The test examined for genetic variants (or changes in genes) that could place one at higher risk for heart disease, stroke, cancer, type two diabetes, and obesity. Truthfully, my results surprised me. Conditions which I assumed I would be higher risk for I wasn’t actually at risk for (heart disease and too much caffeine), and where I thought I would be fine, well of course I was at risk (type two diabetes). I don’t consume that much caffeine as a rule, but sometimes I feel the effects of too much caffeine, like jitteriness when I drink more coffee than I should, and so logically assumed I might be a slow metabolizer of caffeine. (Remember in the last nutrigenomics article I talked about how these individuals are at higher risk for adverse heart health when consuming more caffeine). It’s true what they say about when you ‘assume’, i.e. make a ‘blank’ our of ‘u’ and ‘me’. I metabolize caffeine just fine, but I do have an elevated risk for heart disease, stroke, and type two diabetes.
The test said I’ll be at a 180% increased risk for folate deficiency if I have a low folate intake. Apparently I’m not alone either, as 66% of people are in the same boat. It’s a big deal because low blood levels of the B vitamin, folate have been associated with risks for heart disease and stroke. Even though you and I could have similar dietary intakes I just don’t utilize dietary folate as well, and therefore could be at risk for deficiency. What to do? I’ll try and be conscious to eat more good sources of folate including chicken liver, edamame, lentils, spinach, asparagus, chickpeas, black beans, avocado and sunflower seeds.  So what else did my genes tell me? Also in terms of heart disease, I’m prone to having a 25% increase in my triglycerides (bad blood fat) with a low omega-3 (good) fat intake. Omega-3 fats, like those in fatty fish such as salmon, herring, anchovies, mackerel, trout and tuna, have been associated with reduced risk for heart disease. Most people don’t eat enough of these omega-3 fats, and unfortunately for me, the research on genetics says with my genes doing so can make the bad blood fats worse. Who knew? Again, about 50% of people have this genetic alteration too, so it’s not that uncommon. From here on in I’ll be sure to eat good fats daily through more fatty fish, or other sources like ground flaxseeds, walnuts, canola and soybean oils, or as last resort a liquid or capsule supplement.

There is a 36% increased risk for me to develop type two diabetes especially when I consume low amounts of whole grains. Whole grains are low glycemic index carbohydrates that have more fiber than refined grains. They also have a ton of essential nutrients as well, and have been shown to reduce the risk of several diseases including, type two diabetes. All in all, increasing my whole grain consumption can help reduce my risk. Instead of white bread, rice and pasta I’ll ensure to have 100% whole grain bread, brown and wild rice, quinoa, cooked oatmeal or 100% whole grain cereal in my shopping cart.
So curiosity certainly doesn’t kill the cat, in fact; it could even save its life. It’s important to get informed about your health and how you can make your own personal steps to prevent disease. Equally as important is to not be afraid. Whether that’s through something drastic like getting your genetic code tested, or even picking up a different vegetable in the grocery store to try. Regardless of your genes being ‘good’ or’ bad,’ the things we can modify, like diet can play a significant role in reducing the risk for many of the chronic conditions us Newfoundlanders and Labradorians predominantly encounter.

As seen in The Telegram September 10, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment